Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vogue Black & Vogue Curvy: Step Up or Step Down?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010
I'm sure you're well aware that Vogue Italia has launched two new sites dedicated to black women and curvy women and there's definitely been some praise and backlash.

I was very proud when Vogue Italia premiered "A Black Issue" in July 2008 with nothing but black models throughout the whole magazine.

That's something that isn't common in fashion magazines today, my only problem was (and still is) that US Vogue wasn't doing anything of that nature to embrace black fashion and models. Fast forward to July 2009 they issued the "Black Barbie". Loved it.

Now I'm happy to see that they are taking initiative and creating sites for women that are seen as a minority in fashion. Yet people believe that this isn't making any progress, only further separating us. While I see that viewpoint, I feel that we need to start somewhere. Yes we want to see black and full-figured models adorn the pages of Vogue, Elle, Glamour and don't get me started on Vanity Fair, but I honestly don't feel that the US versions of these magazines will catch the vibe the Vogue Italia is feeling.

I'd rather see a Vogue Black than nothing at all. Which brings me to the point of having a black fashion magazine in print. Remember Suede Magazine? Now that was my ish. I wish I would have appreciated it more when it was around.







So do you think Vogue Black is a step down? And is black fashion and models dying a slow death in America?

And if you haven't already check out Vogue Black and Vogue Curvy

1 comments:

Chizzy D said...

i really enjoyed suede as well...was sad to see it go